Buffalo Surprise Kabobs
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) honey
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple juice or cider
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced fresh parsley
- Pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450 g) ground bison
- 1 block (1 ½ oz./30 ml) Monterrey Jack or Swiss cheese, cut into 12 cubes
- 12 small mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
In a saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from heat; set aside.
In a large bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Add bison and mix well. Divide into 12 portions. Place a cube of cheese in each mushroom cap; shape each meat portion around a mushroom.
On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternate meatballs, peppers and onion wedges. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Grill 8 to 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink. Turning occasionally. Brush with reserved glaze during the last 2 minutes.