News and Events
2019 SBA Host Hotel- Gold Eagle Lodge for more info- click here
TRACE- Livestock Identification and Traceability Program - Article
How is access to veterinary antibiotics changing? - Article
Sask. budget forecasts $365 million deficit- Article
Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame 2017 Inductees - Press Release
About the SBA
The Saskatchewan Bison Association (SBA) was established on July 27, 1991 to promote the bison industry and to represent the interests of bison producers. The SBA works with the Canadian Bison Association (CBA) and other regional bison associations on a number of issues including livestock traceability, animal health, the bison registry, bison research, producer profitability, marketing, international trade and farm food safety..
In Saskatchewan there were 303 farmers and ranchers who produce bison according to the 2016 census. Of these producers about 200 are members of the Saskatchewan Bison Association.
Canadian Bison Bull Draft
SBA Board Governance
The SBA is governance structure is provided through the Bylaws of the Saskatchewan Bison Association Bylaws. For a copy of the bylaws go to Bylaws
The association is managed by a 9 member board of directors. Administrative services are provided through a contract with the Canadian Bison Association located in Regina Saskatchewan. Current Board members are: Board members
Black Diamond Ranch
Box 1177, Weyburn SK S4H 2L5
Box 67, Holbein SK S0J 1G0
Roaming K Bison
Box 635 Foam Lake, SK S0A 1A0
Prairie Land & Bison Co.
Box 278, Windthorst SK S0G 5G0
802-14th Street East, Saskatoon, SK S7N 0P8
Sand Ridge Ranch
Box 430 Dinsmore, SK S0L 0T0
Any individual, partnership, or corporations constituted under federal or provincial charter that owns bison are eligible for Active Membership Active membership includes voting privileges. There are membership packages for Associate Members, Friends of the Industry and Students. For more information on memberships go to: (Link to application for or shopping cart)
Membership benefits include:
- SBA Membership
- CBA Membership
- Reduced pricing on RFID tags
- Reduced pricing on Marketing Materials
- Weekly updates on bison prices
- Weekly E-Newsletter
- Subscription to Smoke Signals (published 3 times/year)
- Industry meetings held in different locations in the province during the winter plus a summer field day
- Representation on various provincial agriculture boards
- A voice on provincial and national agriculture, producer and industry concerns
- Marketing at the provincial, national and international level
- Networking opportunities at a provincial level (SBA Industry Meetings Canadian Bison Bull Draft) and at the national level (National Convention and National Show & Sale).
Become an member and remember there is strength in numbers when your executive is making representations on behalf of the bison industry.
The Saskatchewan Bison Association Board of Directors developed a strategic plan in June of 2017.
A Vision for the Saskatchewan Bison Association
Our vision reflects the preferred future state for the Saskatchewan Bison Association. The vision inspires people to work collectively towards achieving that future and creating outcomes that members and others can support.
To make a difference for our members and the bison industry.
The Mission of the Saskatchewan Bison Association
The Mission Statement defines the organization’s purpose and primary objective. The Mission informs the key measures of the organization’s long-term objectives and the ends it works towards.
The mission of the Saskatchewan Bison Association is to facilitate opportunities for the Saskatchewan bison industry to grow and prosper.The Values of the Saskatchewan Bison Association
The Saskatchewan Bison Association is committed to the following fundamental guiding principles. The principles or values guide our organization’s behaviours, decision-making processes, actions and the programs and services we provide.
- Leadership: we are responsible for providing strong leadership and will do our best to be informed and have the knowledge to achieve results for our members.
- Positive: we strive to always be positive and look to find possible solutions and effective ways of doing business.
- Trust: we are confident that others will do as they say they will and trust that will contribute to a positive outcome or future.
- Respect: we respect our organization and it members and we respect each other as individuals.
- Accountable: We acknowledge and assume responsibility for our actions and decisions.
- Integrity: we are open, honest, responsible and transparent in all of interactions and in a manner consistent with our values and beliefs.
For the complete plan click Here
Our Annual Report
The Saskatchewan Bison Association fiscal year ends on December 31st of each year. In addition to the financial performance of the SBA, the annual report outlines the accomplishments of the past year. For the complete copy of the annual report, click Here
Producer Resources Here
Programs and Services Here
Saskatchewan Forage Council http://www.saskforage.ca/
Farm and Food Care
The Saskatchewan Cattlemen’s Association http://www.saskbeef.com/
The Saskatchewan Stock Growers Association http://skstockgrowers.com/
Western Beef Development Centre http://www.wbdc.sk.ca/
Agricultural Producers Association of Saskatchewan http://www.apas.ca/
Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities https://sarm.ca/
Agriculture in the Classroom https://aitc.sk.ca/
Saskatchewan Bison Association Members with Websites
Canadian Prairie Bison www.cdnbison.com
Doug and Anna Griller www.quillcreek.ca
Scott Family www.beldonbison.com
Wigness Bison www.wignessbison.com
Kevin and Judy Wilkinson www.trailsendbuffalostix.com
Steve Rahn www.thewisent.ca
High Plains Bison www.highplainsbison.com
Saskatchewan Agriculture Programs
Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture Here
Saskatchewan Agricultural Knowledge Centre Here
A Landowner’s Guide to Wildlife Friendly Fences: How to Build Fences with Wildlife in Mind Here
Bison Pastures and Grazing Management Here
Advance Payments Program -Livestock Loan Guarantee Program Here
Saskatchewan Livestock Traceability Rebate Program Here
Saskatchewan Premises Identification Here
Find Help in Designing, Building and Developing an Intensive Livestock Operation Here
Saskatchewan Animal Health and Welfare Here
Saskatchewan Domestic Meat Inspection Here
Bison Handling System Providers
Grasslands National Park http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/sk/grasslands/index
Nature Conservancy of
Sturgeon River Plains Bison Stewards http://www.bisonstewards.ca/