Bison Filet Mignon with Mushroom Sauce
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- 4 (6 oz.) bison filet mignon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 oz.) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Place a heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) over high heat on stove to preheat. After 3 minutes, add vegetable oil and wait one minute for the oil to get hot.
2. Season bison steaks with salt and pepper liberally on both sides. Place into skillet with hot oil. Sear both sides until a light brown crust develops, about 3-4 minutes per side. Lower heat to medium-high, remove steaks from skillet, and place on serving platter; keep warm.
3. Add mushrooms, butter, and garlic to meat drippings in skillet. Stir to prevent sticking. Cook mushrooms about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
4. Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour. Stir well to incorporate and until all the flour is absorbed.
5. Add water, wine, and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet, and stir well again, incorporating mushroom mixture with the additional liquids to make the sauce.
6. Serve steaks with mushroom sauce.