Bison Meat Pie
- 1 pound bison meat, shredded
- 1 pack onion soup mix
- ½ cup peas/chopped beans or other vegetable
- ½ cup bison stock (or beef stock or water)
- ½ cup cooked mashed potatoes (optional, to thicken the filling)
- pastry for a 2 crust pie
- If the meat you have is already cooked, put all filling ingredients in a large skillet and simmer for 15 minutes while you make the pastry. If the meat isn’t cooked, fry it up first and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes with the other ingredients.
- Grease a deep dish pie plate and lay in the bottom pastry. Carefully spoon in the filling and top with upper pastry. Put into a 400oF oven for 5 minutes, then drop the temperature to 325 and bake another 20 – 30 minutes until pastry is browned. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- If you have some bison stock handy, make some gravy to go with the pie.
- We got 8 servings from one deep dish pie.If you have left over filling, freeze it for your next pie.The fat will rise to the top and seal the contents.I have found that a filled 750 ml yoghurt container has just enough mixture to make one pie.